AGAPLESION ELISABETHENSTIFT originates from the deaconess house Elisabethenstift established in 1858. The education of deaconesses was one of the main missions at the time and became formally recognized in 1909.
In 1933 management and deaconesses successfully rebelt against the facility's takeover by the National Socialists.
The bombing of Darmstadt in 1944 destroyed most the buildings, nevertheless more than 3000 survivors were taken care of every day. Facilities were rebuilt.
Throughout the 1970s and 1980s further new buildings were put up and are still put up to this day. From the medical clinic, the psychiatry through to the senior centre. The main building was also successively enlarged. The new building for the senior centre, senior residence and the hospice was completed just five years ago.
Today AGAPLESION ELISABETHENSTIFT combines medical and nursing excellence, modern technology and efficiency with patient focused care. This is what distinguishes us!